Wafer board – A manufactured wood panel made out of 1″- 2″ wood chips and glue. Often used as a substitute for plywood in the exterior wall and roof sheathing.

Walk-Through– A final inspection of a home before “Closing” to look for and document problems that need to be corrected.

Wall out– When a painter spray paints the interior of a home.

Wallpanel– As used in the International Residential Code, meaning any wall section that is panelized in a way that adds lateral support appropriate for a given application.

Warping– Any distortion in a material.

Warranty– In construction there are two general types of warranties. One is provided by the manufacturer of a product such as roofing material or an appliance. The second is a warranty for the labor. For example, a roofing contract may include a 20 year material warranty and a 5 year labor warranty. Many new homebuilders provide a one year warranty. Any major issue found during the first year should be communicated to the builder immediately. Small items can be saved up and presented to the builder for correction periodically through the first year after closing.

Waste pipe and vent– Plumbing plastic pipe that carries waste water to the municipal sewage system.

Water board– Water resistant drywall to be used in tub and shower locations. Normally green or blue colored

Water closet– Another name for toilet.

Water meter pit (or vault)– The box /cast iron bonnet and concrete rings that contains the water meter.

Water-repellent preservative– A liquid applied to wood to give the wood water repellant properties

Water table– The location of the underground water, and the vertical distance from the surface of the earth to this underground water.

Water tap– The connection point where the home water line connects to the main municipal water system.

Watt– A measure of the electrical requirement of an appliance calculated by multiplying the voltage times the amperage. For example: a 150 watt light bulb which uses 110 volt power needs a little less than 1 amp (110 volts X 1 amp= 110 watts).

W C– An abbreviation for water closet (toilet).

Weatherization– Work on a building exterior in order to reduce energy consumption for heating or cooling.  Work involving adding insulation, installing storm windows and doors, caulking cracks and putting on weather-stripping.

Weatherstrip– Narrow sections of thin metal or other material installed to prevent the infiltration of air and moisture around windows and doors.

Web– The vertical and angled members of a truss that provide strength and lock the bottom and top chords from lateral movement in a wood or steel truss design. The vertical portion of a steel I-beam, solid in form, that connects the top flange to the bottom flange (see I-beam).

Weep holes– Small holes in storm window frames that allow moisture to escape.

Whole house fan– A fan designed to move air through and out of a home and normally installed in the ceiling.

Wind bracing– Metal straps or wood blocks installed diagonally on the inside of a wall from bottom to top plate, to prevent the wall from twisting, racking, or falling over “domino” fashion.

Window buck– Square or rectangular box that is installed within a concrete foundation or block wall. A window will eventually be installed in this “buck” during the siding stage of construction

Window frame– The stationary part of a window unit; window sash fits into the window frame.

Window sash– The operating or movable part of a window; the sash is made of window panes and their  border.

Wire nut– A plastic device used to connect bare wires together.

Wonderboard ™– A panel made out of concrete and fiberglass usually used as a ceramic tile backing material. Commonly used on bathtub decks.

Wrapped drywall– Areas that get complete drywall covering, as in the doorway openings of bifold and bipass closet doors.

WSP– Wood Structural Panels (as used in the IRC).

Last updated May 21, 2019